As a proud affiliate of the New York Blood Center Enterprises (NYBCe), Community Blood Center shares in a common mission to train the next generation of leaders in the fields of blood banking and transfusion medicine, and values the acquisition, sharing and application of knowledge. Community Blood Center provides educational programs on blood banking and transfusion medicine for medical laboratory scientists (MLSs), MLS students, pathology residents, and other groups.
- Education Resources: New York Blood Center Enterprises is proud to announce the launch of the NYBCe Education Resources Webpage! This open access webpage is your one-stop shop for eduational material in blood banking and transfusion medicine. The NYBCe Education Resources Webpage provides links to many resources, covering a variety of topics. You can also access it directly at: www.nybc.org/educationresources.
- Experience in Blood Banking: Each spring, we offer Experience in Blood Banking courses, which are live, lecture based, P.A.C.E.-accredited courses intended for a variety of learners. These courses are free for Community Blood Center customers. For more information about recent and upcoming courses, visit Experience in Blood Banking.
- Physician Training: Community Blood Center has partnered with area Pathology Residency Programs, and we offer one-month rotations involving both observation and hands-on learning. For more information, visit Resident/Physician visitors.
- Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) students: Community Blood Center offers a wide variety of supplemental blood bank instruction to local MLS programs, including lecture-based courses and hands-on bench work. For more information on any of these opportunities, contact us.
- Experience in Blood Banking: most local MLS students participate in the Experience in Blood Banking:101 course both as a comprehensive review and also to delve deeper into specialized immunohematology and genomic testing
- Customized supplemental bench work: (wet lab). CBC cooperates with most local medical laboratory science programs, offering students a chance to perform, discuss and better understand specialized serologic procedures such as elutions, adsorptions, and resolution of discrepancies.
- Special speaker presentations: Dr. Jed Gorlin, M.D., MBA, Medical Director and Vice President, Quality and Regulatory Affairs, is a nationally and internationally renowned speaker and leading authority in transfusion medicine. Dr. Gorlin regularly offers special presentations to local medical laboratory science students. Routine guest lectures by immunohematology reference laboratory staff are also available upon request
- National Center for Blood Group Genomics (NCBGG) extended tours: MLS students with a concentration in molecular biotechnology visit NCBGG for discussion, observation and explanation of the use of genomics in transfusion medicine and the future of blood banking.
- Samples for student laboratory: CBC provides samples, including plasma containing antibodies, to local medical laboratory science programs. These samples enrich students’ laboratory practice and contribute to their development of important laboratory skills.
- Blood center tours: Behind-the-scenes tours of donor center and state-of-the-art laboratory facilities offer hospital staff, community groups, high school students, and others an opportunity to see donor services, blood component processing and testing, the distribution department, and our AABB-accredited immunohematology reference laboratory. To request a tour, contact us.
- Speakers at local and national conferences: Medical and technical experts from CBC and our New York Blood Center enterprise affiliates routinely share their knowledge and experience at local and national conferences, including ASCLS, HAABB, and AABB meetings.
- Clinical rotations: Upon request, CBC is proud to support individuals in MLS, MLT or SBB programs who are in need of a hands-on, clinical rotation. Training may include both the theory and application of donor services, component preparation, quality assurance, antibody identification, and specialized testing in the immunohematology reference laboratory. To request a clinical rotation, contact us.
- Medical consultation: Staff development and consultation, including consultation on blood usage management, with some of the nation’s leading experts in transfusion medicine: Jed Gorlin, M.D., MBA, Medical Director and Vice President, Quality and Regulatory Affairs; and Nancy Van Buren, M.D., Associate Medical Director. To request consultation, contact us.
- AABB eCasts: Year-round professional development through AABB eCasts, group eLearning opportunities hosted onsite at our 4040 Main location. These 60 to 90 minute online programs begin at 1PM, include a question/answer portion, and cover a wide range of topics. For more information about upcoming eCasts, contact us.