Convalescent Plasma - Information for Family and Patient Advocates
We know this is a very difficult and challenging time for our city, our nation, and the world. We are working as hard as ever to meet the daily healthcare needs of our communities in the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak. We have received many inquiries from family, friends, and patient advocates wondering how they can secure convalescent plasma (CP) for their loved ones who are suffering from COVID-19.
At this time, we are building a public bank of CP and there is not an option to make a directed donation (making a donation for a specific patient). However, we strongly encourage those wishing to help make CP available to patients in need to follow these steps.
- Talk with the patient's health care provider to make sure they have followed these necessary steps in order to secure CP:
- Work with their Blood Bank Medical Director to contact CBC or their local blood supplier.
- Register to participate in one of the Investigational New Drug (IND) pathways outlined by the Mayo Clinic in order to be able to obtain the COVID-19 convalescent plasma from a blood center.
- Refer your health care provider to our Information for Health Care Providers page for more information.
- Encourage anyone you know who tested positive for COVID-19 AND their symptoms have been gone for 14 days to visit savealifenow.org/cpdonor to register to DONATE.